William from Linum Labs/Ethereum Cat Herders is looking to help pick up the slack for smart contract training

About Me and why am I mentoring

Hi my name is Will, and I love the space, and would be very happy to help bring more talent into it. I also see this as a part of my role in external ops for the Ethereum Cat Herders, which we call Catblazing because of course we do.

Training Will/Won’t be for a protocol

Won’t

Number of trainees: (max 2 advised)

I’ll start with 2, but think I might be taking a less guided approach than other mentors, so I might be able to handle more.

Training Will/Won’t target a job position

Won’t. I mean, Linum Labs will probably seriously consider you if you have senior-level capabilities in Solidity, but this isn’t specifically targeted at that.

Target position will/won’t be remote

(EthernautDAO strongly recommends a YES here)

Linum Labs is fully remote.

Minimum requirements for trainee candidates

I’m looking to help more experienced devs make their way into the space. I would like to focus on smart contracts, but am also ok with integration (web3.js/ethers).

Mentoring hours per week

Will kinda figure this out as it goes, I expect to take more of a help desk/push in the right direction approach

Work hours per week expected

I’d like to figure this out as it goes

Duration of the program

Since this offer isn’t specifically connected to a role, and also since I’m looking at it as a more loose mentorship, I can’t say that there would be a specific duration in mind.

Trainee contribution expected during the training program

Primarily self-guided growth in smart contracts. I would love to see engagement with major ecosystem platforms, either in working directly on their contracts (fixing issues, etc) or interacting with them.

Salary Range

n/a

Protocol equity position

n/a

To apply, please reply in the comments with a description about yourself

Hello William!
It is very kind of you to do this.
I am a senior full stack developer.
I am better at backend than I am at the fronend.
I have extensive experience in JS, Typescript and other languages as well.
I have been learning solidity independently for the purpose of developing a smart contract and UI for allowing Uniswap V3 LP tokens to be liquid and interest bearing. The project is called uni-unchained and is in consideration for a grant from several grant programs.
I am looking forward to pairing with a competent solidity developer and learning from the best.

1 Like

Cool that you are putting yourself out there for the community William, it is appreciated. I am a senior level penetration tester who is looking to venture more into smart contracts. My core focus right now is learning about Solidity, the EVM, and their respective attack surfaces.

I’ve went through the cryptozombies tutorials in a few hours the other night and have played a few Smart Contract CTF challenges. I’m aware of other resources like Ethernauts and Damnvulnerabledefi which I’ve messed with a bit. I’m also familiar with the Smart Contract Security Verification Standard (GitHub - securing/SCSVS: Smart Contract Security Verification Standard) and have been messing with some of the symbolic execution fuzzers like Mythril. Currently also syncing a Erigon archive node so I can fork mainnet and do some other analysis stuff.

I’m purely looking to make connections with people in the Ethereum ecosystem to better understand the risks associated and how to properly mitigate those issues as well as keep my ear to the ground per se. Basically, it’d be great if I could have someone I can reach out to who is a SME when I get stuck during my self-edification. I don’t anticipate you will need to hold my hand much, just nudge me in the correct direction whenever I get hard stuck and Google is fruitless.

I’m not looking to become a developer but instead expand my depth of knowledge on this subject so that I may help other projects secure their smart contracts and conduct responsible disclosure where appropriate.

Cheers and thanks again!

1 Like

This sounds perfect. DM me whenever.

Also, I’d recommend another CTF in addition to the ones you’ve done: Paradigm (Sam Sun and Georgios Konstantopolus, legendary white hats) put together a challenge earlier this year which is supposed to have some really intense stuff in it. It’s very cryptic, but I suspect if this is you field that it won’t put you off too much: GitHub - paradigm-operations/paradigm-ctf-2021: Official repository for Paradigm CTF 2021 . To my limited understanding it’s supposed to have some very challenging puzzles in it.

1 Like

Hi William,
Hope you’re well

Im Saadman a recent uni graduate looking to get into defi and dapp development and I would like to apply for the smart contract position. Most of my experience is with python and java although I am familiar with JS and have used js frameworks it before. I have 4 years expereince working for remote start ups which have helped me develop my soft skills for remote working/learning. In terms of exeperience wityh crypto and blockchian, I am a backend python dev at UniWhalesio and have a good highlevel understanding of how most of the defi protocols work (although there are so many things I could learn in the space). In terms of solidity I’ve done cryptozombies and deployed a few basic contracts such as a multisig, a game using chainvrf etc using brownie, I’ve also written some basic tests for these contracts on my local ganache chain with scripts in brownie.
I would love to be your mentee and jump into into on-chain development both feet. I am eager to learn about smart contract security and solidity best practices. I can definitely attend all the mentoring hours and find time on top of that to study and implement whatever topics disucussed. :grin:
I wouldn’t need hand-hodling mentorship and would be happy with your mentorship style. Most of the other pairings are only open for senior devs with 6+ yrs of experience, although I don’t have that I can gurantee if selected I will spend most of my time learning and tinkering with protocols under your guidance and do my best to break into the solidity dev space .
Best regards

1 Like

Great! hmu on Discord anytime. I’m also not what I would call a senior, but I’m happy to help where I can. I really like that you’re working with Brownie - I’m hearing amazing things about it. If you want to get involved in the development of a Python environment, check out Ape Framework, currently in development.

Side note: I can’t help myself. I don’t know how much you follow the weird parlance of the space, but

hand-hodling mentorship

is a very serendipitous misspelling if it wasn’t on purpose. Here’s one explainer. I think I will make my mentoring motto “no hand-hodling”, in fact.

1 Like

Hey @wschwab , i would be interested to apply!
i have been learning Smart contracts and web3 development through hackathons and recently won hacks at ETHGlobal, and Chainlink Spring hack 21. I am a final year CS student, a fellow at Celo Org and building NiftySubs, a decentralised live video streaming platform on Ethereum blockchain and I would like to apply to learn more in the space and explore opportunities

1 Like

I am quite up to date with the terminology in the space, althought that was a happy accident :rofl: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi there, William! Thank you for taking time out of your day to further this space!

I’m 0xModene, a senior front-end software engineer. I’m pretty fluent with most things, and understand Solidity pretty well, just lacking the project focus to enable me to jump on the bandwagon of calling myself a Solidity dev. I hope to become better in that regard so that I can contribute in every realm at the Index Coop.

1 Like

Hi William, I’m from Argentina, I’ve been working in software development for 18 years now. I studied “Information Systems Engineering” and then started working as a Java backend developer, over the years I became a Lead Developer in charge of researching/selecting new frameworks/technologies for my projects, designing architecture or reviewing other people designs. Since 2010 I started leading and coordinating the efforts of development teams in varied and challenging projects.

I the last 7 years I have focused in event-driven, microservices oriented systems mostly oriented to IoT. I have a few years of experience in AWS tools and I’m always learning new techs/languages for my day job, as an example in my last 3 projects I had to quickly pick-up AWS serverless tools, IoT Core and get familiar with new languages like Swift/Swift UI, Python and also Node Js.

I got involved with Ethereum and Solidity by the end of 2020 . I took training and courses where I started learning Solidity, Truffle, Web3.js and built some simple smart contracts and Dapps. I want to speed up my learning process and start working full time as a smart contract engineer and can’t think of a better way to do it than this trainee opportunity.

I really believe in the disruptive power of blockchain and smart contracts and for that reason I want to participate in building web 3.0. I want to deep dive into DEFI but I’m also interested in other aspects like DAO’s and Supply Chain for example.

This is my linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/baltasarromero/

Thanks for this offering!
Baltasar

1 Like

In the meantime, as some of you have already figured out, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to DM me. I’m totally not all-knowing, but we can always try to figure it out together.

1 Like

Hi Will,

I am a Software developer with 5 years of experience now, working remotely since February 2020 (first due to Covid, and now permanently). I definitely fit into the definition of a Senior dev.

I have a 1.5 years research experience as well where I worked on a single problem for a year.

I started my journey with blockchain tech 6 months ago, and went through some popular beginner resources (including https://ethernaut.openzeppelin.com/ :slight_smile: ). I understood the fundamentals through the ethereum book, and MIT’s course Blockchain and Money. I now spend about 4 hours/day learning about Solidity, defi, and more concepts like MEV, and different stablecoin protocols. I have also used a few defi dapps.

I participated as a solo hacker in HackMoney, where my project won prizes from Compound and Consensys. The project involved developing on react-js, and solidity, meta-transactions, and Compound Protocol. Here is the link to the hack.

It would awesome to have your mentorship to help me break into this space full-time to become a smart contract developer!

1 Like

Hey WIll,

My name is Zach and I’m a software engineer with around 3 years of experience doing backend engineering from in house financial programs to developing and deploying a new AWS service to writing programs to interact with ethereum and even writing smart contracts. Most of what I’ve learned about smart contracts has been from forums, open zeppelin docs and workshops, on my current job, and I even took a class at university. My goal is to get a deeper understanding of the EVM and be a more efficient and knowledgable smart contract engineer.

Cheers!